DVLA’s step by step guide to renew trade licence plates
- DVLA has sent out a reminder letter to renew your trade licence plates which are expiring in June 2021. Apply using this letter as soon as possible to allow time for your application to process before the expiry date.
- If you do not receive your reminder letter complete the online renewal form VTL318 and post to DVLA. Include the payment and advise DVLA what licences you are renewing. Then sign and date the form to confirm you are a motor dealer, motor trader or vehicle tester.
- If you have changed your address and not notified DVLA yet please confirm the new details when submitting your application.
- There is no need to provide a copy of your motor trade insurance for the June 2021 renewal. This is a temporary easement only.
- Check the amount payable on your reminder letter or www.gov.uk/tradelicence-plates and ensure your cheque or postal order matches this amount. If you send DVLA a damaged or altered payment, your application will be returned to you. Securely attach the cheque or postal order to your application.
- If you write your mobile number on the application, DVLA will send you a text message to confirm that your application has been received.
- Applications can take up to 4 weeks to process. There is no need to chase up your application during this time as DVLA will be dealing with all applications as quickly as possible and in the order they are received.
- If you are no longer eligible or do not wish to renew your trade licence, you must complete form VTL308 to surrender your trade licence. The physical trade plates must be returned to DVLA or an explanation of why they are not available.
For more information on trade plates go to: www.gov.uk/tradelicence-plates