In this section, you will find the latest NFDA guidance on key industry issues and COVID-19.
For more information and to request member-only confidential guidance documents, please contact our member helpline at 01788 538303 or email email@example.com.
Please find below the latest information on the national restrictions across the UK
Businesses and venues which must close
Among the list of non-essential retail premises to close are:
- Vehicle showrooms (other than for rental)
- Auction houses
Businesses and venues which can remain open
Among the other businesses permitted to stay open, following Covid secure guidelines, are:
- Petrol stations
- Car repair and MOT services
- Vehicle hire businesses
Click & collect and delivery
As of 05.11.2020, the Government guidance on the national restrictions for England currently reads as follows:
- Non-essential retail, such as clothing and homeware stores, vehicle showrooms (other than for rental), betting shops, tailors, tobacco and vape shops, electronic goods and mobile phone shops, and market stalls selling non-essential goods. These venues can continue to be able to operate click-and-collect (where goods are pre-ordered and collected off the premises) and delivery services
NFDA is working with its legal advisors to provide further clarity for members on the full set of restrictions. We will keep members informed of any developments through our regular bulletins.
UK Government guidance – New national restrictions from 5 November
The Government has confirmed “from (and including) 2 December, when the current restrictions end, most businesses and venues (including dealerships) will be allowed to open, following COVID-19 Secure guidelines”.
Following the end of the firebreak period in Wales at 12:01am Monday 9 November, a new set of national restrictions for Wales are in place.
Under these restrictions “all retail shops can open, if they can comply with the duty to take reasonable measures to minimise the risk of exposure to and prevent the spread of coronavirus in Welsh law. People should avoid unnecessary travel and avoid crowded spaces, particularly indoors.”
Please see the Welsh Government guidance for retailers for more information.
Welsh Government guidance: Coronavirus regulations: frequently asked questions
- Northern Ireland
- NFDA and TLT Guidance Online Sales
Download guidance on the main issues facing franchised dealers, prepared by NFDA's legal team.
- MILS Legal - Return changes to workplace policies and procedure, 15.05.2020
- MILS Legal - Infectious Diseases In The Workplace Policy & Risk Assessment, 15.05.2020
- MILS Legal - COVID-19 Temporary Changes to Workplace Policies and Procedures, 15.05.2020
- MILS Legal - Working Safely in Shops
- MILS Legal - Distance Selling
- MILS Legal - Carrying over holiday 31.03.2020
- MILS Legal - FACEMASKS
- NFDA Update - Displaying QR Codes in Dealerships 25.09.2020
- NFDA SMMT Industry Guidance COVID-19 Protective Measures for Auto Retail
Download here template letters dealers can use with staff and customers.
- Industry Guidance
Healthcare Links & Posters
- World Health Organization
- Poster, Public Health England
– Poster, NHS
- Poster, NHS
The HR Toolkit Job Descriptions are provided as a generic overview and guidance for franchised dealers looking to recruit, they are not definitive examples of any role within the automotive retail industry. Please feel free to copy and paste the format and then tailor to the specific requirements of your business.
- Business Manager Job Description
- Parts Advisor Job Description
- Parts Manager Job Description
- Product Genius Job Description
- Sales Administrator Job Description
- Sales Executive Job Description
- Sales Manager Job Description
- Service Advisor Job Description
- Service Manager Job Description
- Workshop Controller Job Description