From engagement with Government to industry reports and surveys, as well as new initiatives to help retailers in the recruitment area and in the electric vehicles sector, the summary below outlines some of the key works NFDA has undertaken this year. The full story is available in The Voice Winter 2018.
NFDA Parliamentary Engagement Programme
The first MP visit of the year took place on Friday 12 January: Rt Hon Sir Vince Cable MP visited NFDA member Inchcape Volkswagen in Twickenham to discuss key issues facing the automotive retail sector.
Drive My Career
On 8 February, NFDA launched Drive My Career: a unique, industry-first initiative created to attract talented, young people to automotive retail. After ten months of operations, there are more than 850 dealerships on the website that have been connected to more than 8,000 young people across the UK. Thanks to highly targeted campaigns, Drive My Career continues to raise awareness of our sector. Find out more at www.drivemycareer.co.uk
Dealer Attitude Survey Winter 2017/2018
The overall relationship between franchised car dealers and manufacturers recorded an average score of 5.3 in the Winter 2017/2018 Dealer Attitude Survey, which was -0.3 points lower than six months earlier.
Consumer Attitude Survey Spring 2018
Franchised dealers continued to be described by the majority of all consumers as professional (52%), knowledgeable (46%) reputable (46%) and with good customer service (43%). Overall, 89% of franchised dealer customers were satisfied with their most recent servicing experience and the vast majority of them continued to see franchised dealers as the safest option in aftersales.
New NFDA website
NFDA launched its new website to provide members with a significantly enhanced digital experience and ensure that they can easily access relevant material. Visit www.nfda-uk.co.uk to find out more.
NFDA intensifies WLTP communication
In June, NFDA communicated to our members the potential implications of the Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP), due to be introduced in September. We also contacted individual manufacturers to urge them to provide their respective dealer networks with information about the possible impact of WLTP.
Government’s Road to Zero strategy
NFDA welcomed the Government’s commitment to support the uptake of electric vehicles while it was acknowledged that ‘conventional engines will continue to play an important part in the years to come’. NFDA also asked specifically for a review of the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) system, especially with regard to diesel.
Analysts’ forecast report
NFDA launched the UK New Car Market Forecasts report to give its members a clearer overview of the new car market in the UK. This was a confidential document, exclusive to NFDA members. It collated the views of a number of industry analysts and experts who examined the outlook of the new car market in 2018 and how it is expected to perform in the next two years.
KIA tops Dealer Attitude Survey Summer 2018
The results of the latest Dealer Attitude Survey Summer 2018 were published on 3 September 2018. Kia had the highest average score across all questions, followed by Toyota and Lexus. Mitsubishi was the most improved network.
Consumer Attitude Survey Autumn 2018: franchised dealers safest option in aftersales
The latest Consumer Attitude Survey revealed that the majority of consumers (64%) continued to see franchised dealers as the safest option in the aftersales sector. Of those who regularly use franchised dealers for aftersales service, 93% were satisfied with their overall experience.
NFDA launched the pilot phase of the Electric Vehicle Approved (EVA) scheme, which was approved by the Office for Low Emissions Vehicles (OLEV) and the Energy Saving Trust (EST). It consists of a set of standards open to all retailers aimed at certifying their excellence in EV sales.
NFDA publishes Plug-in Vehicle Guide
NFDA published a plug-in vehicle guide in association with the Energy Saving Trust, the Office for Low Emissions Vehicles and Zap-Map to help retailers inform consumers about plug-in electric cars.