The Closed Businesses Lockdown Payment (CBLP) supports businesses that have been required to close due to the national restrictions that began on 5 January 2021. Eligible businesses may be entitled to a one-off cash grant of up to £9,000 from their local council.
Local councils will set out the eligibility requirements for the scheme. Local councils will pay the same businesses that are eligible to receive the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum for the national lockdown period that began on 5 January.
Your business may be eligible if it:
- is based in England
- occupies property on which it pays business rates (and is the ratepayer)
- has been required to close because of the national restrictions from 5 January 2021 onwards
- has been unable to provide its usual in-person customer service from its premises
This could include non-essential retail businesses. It could also include businesses that operate primarily as an in-person venue, but which have been forced to close those services and provide a takeaway-only service instead. Eligible businesses can get one grant for each non-domestic property. The Government will publish further guidance on subsidy rules in due course.
Businesses excluded from the fund
You cannot get funding if:
- you can continue to operate during the period of restrictions because you do not depend on providing direct in-person services from your premises (for example, accountants)
- you have chosen to close, but have not been required to close as part of national restrictions
- your business is in administration, insolvent or has been struck off the Companies House register
- you have exceeded the permitted subsidy limit
You must notify your local council if your situation changes and you no longer meet the eligibility criteria.
What you get
The grant will be based on the rateable value of the property on the first full day of restrictions.
- If your business has a property with a rateable value of £15,000 or less, you may be eligible for a one-off cash grant of £4,000.
- If your business has a property with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000, you may be eligible for a one-off cash grant of £6,000.
- If your business has a property with a rateable value of £51,000 or above, you may be eligible for a one-off cash grant of £9,000.
How to apply
Visit your local council’s website to find out how to apply: Find the website for your local council.